The Basset Hound Club of Wales
Web design and Maintenance Blackvein Design © The Basset Hound Club of Wales 2005-2012 All Rights Reserved
Are pleased to have been awarded these presigious website awards
for Basset Hound information and recources
CODE OF ETHICS
All members if the Basset Hound Club of Wales undertake to abide by its general Code of Ethics, and MUST also undertake to ensure the health and welfare of their hounds(s) is a top priority at all times.
1. Will properly feed, house, water and exercise all dogs under their care and arrange for appropriate veterinary attention if and when required.
2. Will agree without reservation that any veterinary surgeon performing an operation on any of their dogs which alters the natural conformation of the animal, or who carries out a caesarean section on a bitch, may report such operation to the Kennel Club.
3. Will agree that no healthy puppy will be culled. Puppies which may not conform to the Breed Standard should be placed in suitable homes.
4. Will abide by all aspects of the Animal Welfare Act.
5. Will not create demand for, nor supply, puppies that have been docked illegally.
6. Will not agree to breed from a dog or bitch which could be in any way harmful to the dog or to the breed.
7. Will not allow any of their dogs to roam at large or to cause a nuisance to neighbours or to those carrying out official duties.
8. Will ensure that their dogs wear properly tagged collars and will be kept leashed or under effective control when away from home.
9. Will clean up after their dogs in pubic places or anywhere their dogs are being exhibited.
10. Will only sell dogs where there is a reasonable expectancy of a happy and healthy life and will help with the re-homing of a dog if the initial circumstances change.
11. Will supply written details of all dietary requirements and give guidance concerning responsible ownership when placing dogs in a new home.
12. Will ensure that all relevant Kennel Club documents are provided to the new owner when selling or transferring a dog, and will agree , in writing, to forward any relevant documents at the earliest opportunity, if not immediately available.
13. Will not sell any dog to commercial dog wholesalers, retail pet dealers or directly or indirectly allow dogs to be given as a prize or donation in a competition of any kind. Will not sell by sale or auction Kennel Club registration certificates as stand alone items (not accompanying a dog)
14. Will not knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of the breed nor falsely advertise dogs or mislead any person regarding the health or quality of a dog.
15. Will ensure that all puppies are vaccinated and all hounds are regularly wormed.
16. Do not knowingly breed from a bitch, which does not conform to the breed standard a hereditary fault/or in a manner, which is deleterious to her health, e.g. successive seasons. You should not breed from a bitch under 18 months of age and never more than every other season. You should never breed from a bitch of more than 7 years age. Never mate your bitch to more than one stud dog during any one season.
17. Do not knowingly use your stud dog on a bitch, which does not conform to the breed standard or has a hereditary fault.
18. Do not knowingly use a dog at stud "which does not conform to the breed standard or has a hereditary fault.
19. If you use your stud dog on a suitable bitch owned by a novice, help place the puppies and help with any problems.
20. Never sell puppies younger than 8 weeks old.
Breach of these provisions may result in expulsion from club membership, and/or disciplinary action by the Kennel Club and/or report to the relevant authorities for legal action, as appropriate.